What is it with all this coughing??
This month we have seen far too many people with respiratory problems in the clinic. From babies with bronchiolitis to children with bronchitis to adults being hospitalised for severe pneumonia...
They all have one thing in common: a weakened immune system.
An immune system not strong enough to hold off the bugs we all are exposed to...so this blog is all about HOW TO STRENGTHEN OUR IMMUNE SYSTEM, how to fight of the microbes in a natural way, tips and practical advice on prevention, on optimal environment, nutrition and various treatments options.
8 Steps to Preventing and Treating Colds, Flu, Bronchitis and Pneumonia
1. Increase your Vitamin D and Vitamin C. The best source of Vitamin D is sunlight with having a part of the body exposed to sunlight with no sunscreen for around 30 minutes. It is important to note that in order for the body to absorb Vitamin D it needs the natural oils in the skin to absorb the Vitamin D from the sun. It also takes around 24 hours for the Vitamin D to enter the cells so do not wash the exposed part with soap which removes the natural oils from the skin for 24 hours.
If there is no sunlight or unable to be outside a few times per week for at least 30 minutes then take high quality Vitamin D supplements. On average, for prevention, children and adults need around 35 IU of Vitamin D per pound of body weight. So for example, a child weighing 57 pounds would need around 2000 IU of Vitamin D per day.
Vit C is a strong anti-oxidant that is used for healthy bones, blood vessels and muscles. In case of a cold or respiratory ailment it is advised to take 1000mg of Vitamin C a day. Vit C is needed for a better absorption of iron where the bloodcells fight off the bugs.
2. Limit your Sugar Intake! The worst thing you can do for your immune system is eat candy, dried fruits, drink soda and boxed fruit juices. According to the Health Services at Columbia University in the US they found that when you consume 100 grams of sugar, which is equivalent to 1 liter bottle of soda or fruit juice, your white blood cells are 40% less effective in killing germs for up to 5 hours after eating or drinking sugar. Its best to limit your daily intake of sugar to 15 grams or less.
3. Increase the good bacteria in your intestines! 70-80% of the bodies immune cells are in the intestines. If you do not have enough good bacteria in the intestines then you can't fight the viruses and bacteria. To increase the good bacteria take daily high quality bio-fermented or live probiotics, eat fermented foods such as Kefir, miso, pickles and prebiotic foods such as garlic, Brussel sprouts, onions, leek, dandelion leaf and chicory root.
Pro-biotic powder taken as daily supplement will also greatly improve the intestinal flora.
4. SLEEP!!! According to the Mayo Clinic in the US, Studies show that people who do not get adequate amount of sleep,less then 7-8 hours for adults, 9-10 hours for teens and 10-12 hours for school aged children have a decrease in cytokines, a protein which helps fight infection and inflammation.
5. Homeopathic Medicine! Homeopathic medicine which is all natural can be used very effectively in preventing outbreaks of almost any contagious disease. If there is an outbreak of Influenza in the community we can give you the Homeopathic version of the virus which will prevent you from getting Influenza. Its like taking a flu shot without the chemicals. If you have a cold, flu like syptoms, bronchitis and/or pneumonia, homeopathic medicine can also treat these conditions as well, by stimulating the body to heal itself. For people with severe conditions hospitalization may be necessary.
6. Essential oils have been shown to highly improve the immune system. Frankincense has the ability to break up phlegm deposits in the respiratory tract and lungs, which relieves bronchitis-related congestion; Tea-tree extract acts as a natural anti-bacterial whereas Lavender calms the irritation in the throat and bronchii.
You can take the oils in 2 ways:
1. adding drops to a diffuser to inhale
2. mix a few drops of oil with some avocado oil or almond oil and apply it to the body, then cover the body part that the oil was applied to.
7. DETOX! Detoxing not only improves your skin, helps you to loose weight, gives you more energy, but it is also very effective in improving your overall immune system. You can book a full comprehensive 10 day detox program with Michelle Ricaille at www.theroundclinic.com
8. Osteopathc treatment has shown to help improve the flexibility of the intercostal muscles of the thorax increasing the ability to cough up the phlegms. Frequent coughing results in tightness and stifness of shoulder and neck muscles, where soft manual osteopathic techniques can release the tension. Osteopathy can be booked with Ines, Julia or Arthur at www.theroundclinic.com or 26482612.